MEET EMONYO 19, KISII'S FINEST MC AKA MC FIRSTBORN


As a young Man growing in a poor Family in 1980's, Robert Ongeri had a passion for media and football. He believed that his destiny lied in the aforementioned careers hence working hard in is earlier education.

MC Emonyo 19 with his wives during GASUA award ceremony
Now at 42 years he is the reigning MC of the year in the annual Gusii All Stars United Awards (GASUA) where he had to compete with lots of talented MCs  and managed to floor them to the coveted award .MC Emonyo 19 or MC firstborn as he is referred by his friends and clients, thinks that he is living his dream though he also believes that he is yet to fulfill his passion fully but he is on the right path.

"I was one of the best pupils during my time and if you want to know, I scored 540 marks in 1990 KCPE". He say while smiling with his white teeth sprouting out of his black face. "I hoped to go to a good secondary school but things never turned out to be how I wished so I dropped out, my schooling started and ended at  Kericho Primary School". He adds with a sombre face replacing his smiling face and he looked he had turned more darker.

After realizing that Standard Eight level of education was what he could get, he decided to Join a local polytechnic where he took a course in Tailoring. " I knew that tailoring was not what I wanted  but now that is where I found myself". He says, as continued to explain the kind of financial constraints that his family was going through."At the same time I was working with Brook bond Kenya Limited as a general worker, that was between 1996 to 2002".

While working as a tea picker, an opportunity presented itself for him to play soccer with James Finlay's Football Club before finally returning back home to practice as a tailor.

It is when he was working as a tailor that he became a very good fan of Willis Ochieng then of Radio Star Kisii. "I used to call Willis every time during his show, and I became very active in his show until he started calling me". He says. "One day he called and he took me to St. Ann's College where I enrolled for a Diploma Course in Mass Communication, I thank him For that".

After graduation, he joined Sayare FM as a broadcaster and later Just FM in the same capacity. He later moved to Hazina Siri Collections a Promotion Company in Kisii where he is the official MC. "I moved out of Radio because I thought I had stalled in my development, most the stations that I worked with looked like exploitative so  I won't keep working there". He says. " I like interacting with people and that is why I feel like being an MC is my comfort zone".

He farther says that given a very good chance, he can still work in radio, he trusts his fluency in Ekegusii, Swahili and also other dialects like Luo, and kalenjin.

In his MC career, Ongeri has worked with Kenya Power where he experienced first flight to Mombasa. "That was the best experience I have ever had, i never imagined that your work can take you places." He says. "That was the year 2015". He has also worked with Safaricom open days in Kisii,  Coca cola Company, Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission and many campaigns including political campaigns.

Prior to winning his maiden GASUA award, he didn't even know who had nominated him to the competition though he never won in the first round he manged to be the first runners up before winning it a year later.

During his free time MC Emonyo 19 will be seen riding his Motor Cycle as a Boda boda operator where he also happens to be one of the Boda Boda association leader. Unlike other celebrities who have made it big in the showbiz industry, he still credits Boda boda as a catalyst towards his success. "Many look down upon Bodaboda riders but I tell you they are very important. You can't miss a living from it". He says.

Ongeri dedicates all his success to his family. "I am married to two wives and we have 7 children, I am very grateful of their support." He alludes. "I also thank God for he has seen me through many trying moments". He said.

"I want to be the best in what I do, I believe nothing can keep down, If  Willis Ochieng believed in me, who am not to be believe in myself?" He poses. "You can find me on Facebook - MC Firstborn Emonyo Nineteen". Emonyo jokingly says with a smile.



haonya12@gmail.com
Haron is a non practicing Journalist with Bachelor of Arts in Communication & Media
Kisii University 

 FB: Toto Haron

Popular posts from this blog

ANTHONY KIBAGENDI MAKES JOASH MAANGI'S STINT IN JUBILEE LOOK USELESS AND HE IS NOT BEING MISSED..

ABABU NAMWAMBA: BIGGER WITHOUT RAILA.

THE TECTONIC DRIFT IN THE KISII COUNTY SENATORIAL RACE

KISII COUNTY: HOW CHRIS OBURE WILL WIN THE COUNTY BOSS SEAT

KISII COUNTY JUBILEE NOMINATED MCA'S MUST BE READY FOR A RUDE SHOCK COME AUGUST 8TH 2017

JUBILEE WAVE UNSETTLES AND STARTLES NASA CAMPS IN GUSII REGION